Titan Up: How to Build the Ultimate Tank in Destiny 2
In Destiny 2, tank builds play a crucial role in the success of a fireteam. A tank build is a specialized character build that focuses on maximizing durability and survivability, allowing the player to soak up damage and protect their teammates. Having a tank in your fireteam can make a significant difference in challenging encounters, as they can draw enemy attention away from more vulnerable teammates and provide a solid frontline defense.
Understanding the Titan Class and Its Abilities
The Titan class in Destiny 2 is known for its resilience and strength. Titans have access to unique abilities that make them ideal candidates for tank builds. One of their signature abilities is the Barrier, which allows them to create protective walls that can shield themselves and their teammates from incoming fire. Titans also have access to powerful melee abilities, such as the Shoulder Charge, which can knock enemies back and create space for their team.
To build an effective tank Titan, players should focus on maximizing their resilience and recovery stats. Resilience increases the Titan’s overall durability, allowing them to withstand more damage before going down. Recovery, on the other hand, determines how quickly the Titan can regenerate health after taking damage. By prioritizing these stats, players can create a Titan build that can absorb a significant amount of punishment and quickly bounce back from it.
Choosing the Right Subclass for Your Tank Build
There are three subclasses available to Titans in Destiny 2: Sentinel, Striker, and Sunbreaker. Each subclass has its own unique strengths and abilities that can be utilized in a tank build.
The Sentinel subclass is focused on defensive abilities and crowd control. The Sentinel Shield super ability allows Titans to summon a shield that can block incoming projectiles and melee attacks, making it an excellent choice for tank builds. The subclass also has access to abilities like Defensive Strike, which grants an overshield to the Titan and nearby allies upon melee kills.
The Striker subclass is all about raw power and aggression. Titans who choose this subclass can unleash devastating melee attacks and supers that can clear out groups of enemies. While the Striker subclass may not have as many defensive abilities as the Sentinel, its offensive capabilities can make up for it. Titans who prefer a more aggressive tank playstyle may find the Striker subclass to be a better fit for their build.
The Sunbreaker subclass combines offense and defense, making it a versatile choice for tank builds. The Sunbreaker’s super ability, Hammer of Sol, allows Titans to throw flaming hammers at enemies, dealing massive damage. The subclass also has access to abilities like Sun Warrior, which increases the Titan’s ability recharge rate and grants an overshield upon solar ability kills. This combination of offensive and defensive abilities makes the Sunbreaker subclass a well-rounded choice for tank builds.
Essential Armor and Weapon Mods for Tanking
To further enhance their tanking abilities, Titans should equip armor and weapon mods that complement their playstyle. Some essential mods for tank builds include:
– Resilience Mods: These mods increase the Titan’s resilience stat, making them more durable and able to withstand more damage.
– Recovery Mods: Recovery mods increase the Titan’s recovery stat, allowing them to regenerate health more quickly after taking damage.
– Barrier Mods: Barrier mods enhance the Titan’s Barrier ability, increasing its duration or allowing it to provide additional benefits to teammates.
– Melee Mods: Melee mods can increase the damage and effectiveness of the Titan’s melee abilities, allowing them to deal more damage and create space for their team.
– Super Mods: Super mods reduce the cooldown time of the Titan’s super ability, allowing them to use it more frequently and provide additional support to their team.
By equipping these mods, Titans can further optimize their tank build and become even more effective in combat.
Building a Tanky Exotic Armor Set
Exotic armor pieces can greatly enhance a Titan’s tanking potential. Some of the best exotic armor pieces for tank builds include:
– Helm of Saint-14: This exotic helmet enhances the Titan’s Ward of Dawn super ability, making it more effective at protecting the team. It also disorients enemies who enter the Ward of Dawn, making them easier to dispatch.
– Crest of Alpha Lupi: This exotic chest armor grants an overshield to the Titan and nearby allies when using the Barrier ability. It also increases the effectiveness of the Barrier, making it a valuable asset in tank builds.
– Synthoceps: These exotic gauntlets increase the Titan’s melee range and damage when surrounded by enemies. They also grant an overshield upon melee kills, making them a great choice for tank builds that rely on melee abilities.
– One-Eyed Mask: This exotic helmet marks enemies who damage the Titan, allowing the player to track them and gain an overshield upon defeating them. It also increases damage output after defeating a marked enemy, making it a powerful choice for tank builds.
By combining these exotic armor pieces with the right mods, Titans can create a tanky armor set that maximizes their survivability and utility in combat.
Mastering the Art of Blocking and Aggro Management
As a tank, one of the most important skills to master is blocking and aggro management. Blocking refers to using the Titan’s defensive abilities, such as the Barrier or Sentinel Shield, to absorb incoming damage and protect teammates. Aggro management involves drawing enemy attention towards the tank and away from more vulnerable teammates.
To effectively block and manage aggro, Titans should position themselves between their teammates and enemies, using their defensive abilities to shield their team from harm. They should also communicate with their fireteam, letting them know when they are using defensive abilities and when they need support.
Team Synergy: Coordinating with Your Fireteam
To maximize their tanking potential, Titans should coordinate with their fireteam and work together to create a well-rounded team. This involves understanding the strengths and weaknesses of other classes and adjusting their playstyle accordingly.
For example, Titans can work with Hunters who specialize in dealing high damage from a distance. By drawing enemy attention towards themselves and creating space for the Hunter, Titans can protect them while they deal damage from a safe distance. Similarly, Titans can coordinate with Warlocks who specialize in support abilities, such as healing and damage buffs. By positioning themselves between the Warlock and enemies, Titans can protect them while they provide valuable support to the team.
Tanking in Different Game Modes: PvE and PvP
Tanking in PvE (Player versus Environment) and PvP (Player versus Player) game modes requires different strategies and approaches. In PvE, tanking involves drawing enemy attention away from more vulnerable teammates and soaking up damage. Titans should focus on positioning themselves between enemies and their teammates, using their defensive abilities to protect their team.
In PvP, tanking is more about survivability and disruption. Titans should focus on maximizing their resilience and recovery stats to withstand enemy attacks and quickly bounce back from damage. They should also use their defensive abilities strategically to block incoming damage and create opportunities for their team.
Tips and Tricks for Surviving Challenging Encounters
Surviving challenging encounters as a tank requires a combination of skill, strategy, and the right gear. Here are some tips and tricks to help Titans overcome difficult challenges:
– Use your defensive abilities strategically: Don’t waste your Barrier or Sentinel Shield abilities on minor threats. Save them for when you really need them, such as during boss encounters or when facing a large group of enemies.
– Communicate with your fireteam: Let your teammates know when you are using defensive abilities or when you need support. Effective communication can make a significant difference in challenging encounters.
– Prioritize targets: Focus on taking down high-priority targets, such as enemy snipers or bosses, to minimize the threat to your team. Use your melee abilities and supers to quickly dispatch these targets.
– Stay mobile: Don’t stay in one place for too long. Move around the battlefield, drawing enemy attention away from your teammates and creating opportunities for them to deal damage.
– Experiment with different builds: Don’t be afraid to try out different armor and weapon mods, as well as exotic armor pieces, to find the build that works best for your playstyle. Experimentation is key to finding the perfect tank build.
Becoming the Ultimate Titan Tank in Destiny 2
Becoming the ultimate Titan tank in Destiny 2 requires a combination of skill, strategy, and the right gear. By understanding the Titan class and its abilities, choosing the right subclass, equipping essential mods and exotic armor pieces, mastering blocking and aggro management, coordinating with your fireteam, adapting to different game modes, and utilizing tips and tricks for surviving challenging encounters, you can become an unstoppable force on the battlefield. So gear up, rally your fireteam, and show the enemies of humanity what it means to be a Titan tank in Destiny 2.